Regional Controller, Western Region
The Regional Controller will be one of the senior members of the Western Region Management Team. The Team is led by the Regional Vice President who is responsible and accountable for the overall direction and performance of the Western Region business unit.
2013 Forecast Regional Revenues c.$150m – Regional office located in Fairfield, CA – with projects in California, Washington and Oregon. Due to increasing backlog, the revenues of the Region are projected to exceed $200m in the medium term.
The role will be based in Fairfield, CA. There will be a reasonable amount of travel associated to the position. Fairfield, CA, is c.60 miles north of San Francisco, 40 miles south west of Sacramento, 20 miles east of Napa.
The Controller shall have responsibility for all aspects of the financial management of the Western Region, including, without limitation:
- Maintaining the financial records of the Region in accordance with Op Co Standard Operating Procedures [SOP’s], IFRS and U.S. GAAP, as well as all ancillary activities (e.g., Receivables, Payables, Preparation of Standard / Ad Hoc Reports, etc.),
- Providing monthly financial reports to Regional and Company Management,
- Preparing detailed Project and Regional overhead cost / revenue forecasts, profit & cash forecasting,
- Maintaining a control environment consistent with Company SOP’s, and
detailed knowledge and understanding of all projects / operations within the Regional portfolio.
- Hire, train and develop qualified and motivated staff,
- Perform responsibilities in a “Hands-on” team environment,
- Leadership and Oversight of all Regional accounting staff,
- Leadership on the preparation, evaluation and accuracy of budgets and other financial operating reports,
- Responsible for the preparation and accuracy of reports that summarize and forecast the financial position of the Region with respect to income and expenses and budget versus actual performance,
- Monitor and report actual results vs. key business performance indicators,
- Provide management with continuous improvement plans to sustain and drive improvements throughout the business,
- Analyze financial reports, identifying variances from forecasted, budgeted, and benchmarked performance and provide recommendations to management team,
- Review operating expenses and provide recommendations to management on ideas for cost reductions and lead a monthly SG&A review process,
- Review financial aspects of Major Bids within the Region,
- Participate in the development and update of the Regional Strategic Plan, and
- Other duties as assigned by the Regional Vice President or Chief Financial Officer.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance (US) / Honors Degree (UK),
- Recognized Accounting Qualification (e.g. CPA, CIMA/CMA, ACA),
- 10-15 years of financial management experience. Prefer a minimum of 5 years experience in the engineering, or construction industry – exposure to Joint Venture arrangements would also be beneficial,
- Equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the key responsibilities of this position,
- Knowledge of IFRS and US GAAP,
- Ability to collect and assemble data for the development of financial reports,
- Ability to analyze complex information and formulate decisions,
- Knowledge of financial reporting, budgeting and forecasting methods,
- Ability to communicate effectively with operations,
- Strong PC skills and software proficiency, and
- Strong managerial/leadership skills.
Corporate Communications and Marketing Manager
Manage the national internal and external strategic corporate communications and marketing programs for Balfour Beatty Infrastructure, Balfour Beatty Rail, and Fru‐Con Construction, industry‐leading civil, rail and water/wastewater contracting firms with a combined 1,600 workforce, $700 million in revenues, and $1.5 billion in backlog. Balfour Beatty Infrastructure, Balfour Beatty Rail and Fru-Con are part of Balfour Beatty plc, a global engineering, construction, services and investment business organization specializing in large infrastructure and building programs.
- Executive and Internal Communications – Provide counsel and executive communications support to the CEO on corporate communications issues. Prepare board‐level presentations, strategy documents, executive communications, and employee roadshows. Create internal communications plans to cascade strategy and global initiatives throughout the organization.
- Strategic Communications – Lead strategic communications initiatives including acquisition integration, change management, crisis preparedness, ethics, knowledge sharing, safety, and sustainability. Collaborate with Human Resources, IT and Safety on key initiatives as needed.
- Marketing – Serve as brand manager for three external brands and direct the execution of all internal and external communication vehicles, including advertisements, bios, brochures, collateral, corporate presentations, e‐blasts, fact sheets, newsletters, news releases, trade show exhibits, and videos.
- Electronic Communications – Oversee the development of weekly e-blast news stories and safety updates, as well as electronic content for the company Intranet, websites, and merchandise store.
- Media Relations – Develop and implement strategic media relations initiatives that support Balfour Beatty’s vision, strategy, and business objectives. Create and maintain relationships with key industry trade journalists.
- Crisis Communications – Develop communications statements for use with media, public officials and communities related to specific crises. Develop and maintain annual crisis media training plans. Serve as onsite media spokesperson as needed.
- Advanced writing and editing skills are essential, as well as working knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Experience supporting C-level executives or senior management.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- Travel up to 30 percent.
- Business degree in Communications/Marketing or related degree.
- 8 to 10 years of communications experience.
- Excellent writing skill and familiar with Marketing/Communication Technologies.
- Working knowledge of graphic design software.
- Travel up to 30 percent.
- Manage one person.
Project Business Manager
Applies principles of cost accounting to conduct studies which provide detailed cost information not supplied by general accounting systems.
- Perform project budgets, prepare and allocate costs within multiple project budgets and monitor the development of actual against budgets/forecasts.
- Perform monthly reviews of the value of work in progress and report on costs incurred, revenues and irregularities.
- Review and measure the percentage of completion of each project segments, and makes sure that all costs related to the projects are allocated and the invoice to the client prepared.
- Collect cost data required to monitor all project cost accounts to ensure that these accounts reflect actual costs to be matched against revenue and any irregularities reported to senior management.
- Code, obtain approval for and enter Accounts Payable invoices and Payroll timesheets
- Maintain subcontracts including review of insurance requirements, pay estimate preparation and account reconciliation
- Reviews on a monthly basis, in conjunction with project field personnel, progress within the project and determine the value of the completed work.
- Develop budget forecasts and monitor progress of work per cost account to ensure adherence to budget.
- Prepare month end profit and loss report for budgeted segments of projects and forward to senior management together with the construction forecast to reflect most current plans/requirements.
- Supervise and provide on-the-job training to entry level professional personnel assigned to cost accounting area. May provide technical direction on job costing software.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor's direction.
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications & Experience:
Educational and experience requirements may include: Four year business/accounting degree plus four or more year’s similar construction cost accounting experience or equivalent combinations of training/experience. Working knowledge of cost accounting software, construction technology, and budget analysis required. Must be able to multi task and manage the financial for multiple projects.
Position responsible for timeliness and accuracy of reports for the projects. Works closely with immediate accounting associates, finance associates, and with project managers. Occasional contact with executive level management required.
Balfour Beatty maintains a drug free workplace, is an EEO employer and utilizes the E-Verify system.
Responsible for soliciting and evaluating subcontractor bids, and scopes of work, preparing quantity take off, reviewing project plans and specifications for major infrastructure projects.
- Performs accurate, thorough and quantity takeoffs using company format.
- Develops accurate and concise clarifications with project management team’s assistance.
- Obtains clarification on plans and specifications from engineers when necessary.
- Solicits and analyzes subcontractor and vendor pricing input when required.
- Attends project site pre-bid meetings, and site tours as required.
- Estimates in HCSS in developing the project estimate.
- Performs technical plan review when required.
- Considers and understands problems, and identifies appropriate solutions.
- Accurately assesses and plans takeoff workload.
- Becomes proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with particular emphasis on HCSS estimating software.
- Constantly strives to improve individual capabilities, performance and expand knowledge of construction technologies techniques.
The majority of the work is performed in an office setting at the Southwest Region’s main office. Periodic meetings at off-site locations may occur.
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience:
- BS in Constructions Management, Engineering, or equivalent work experience with 2-4 years of preconstruction/estimating and/or operations experience on major infrastructure construction projects or 4-7 years of progressive equivalent work experience in a related field.
- Knowledge in some of the following: bridges, retaining walls, roadway, drainage, utilities, water and wastewater treatment plants.
- Good organizational skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
- Resourceful and diligent in seeking solutions to problems and adapting to new situations.
- Act in a manner of integrity that shows support for the company, its values, and the employees, while maintaining constant focus on meeting/exceeding customer requirements and expectations.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software HCSS, word processing, spreadsheets, bid management, online plan rooms, company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft Office.
Balfour Beatty maintains a drug-free workplace, is an EEO employer and utilizes the E-Verify system.